Unread 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Default Java script

Hi, I'm a web manager for a London local authority. I've tried your demo fly-out nav with JavaScript disabled and they do not appear to work for me. Do they need JS to function? If so then I cannot use them on my site, which is a shame. Please advise.

Thanks

Martin
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:21 PM

All menu configurations are designed to work with or without javascript enabled. Without looking at your menu, I can only guess at what you're doing but you need to have a link for users to click on at each top level menu item when javascript is disabled. Try hovering your mouse over any of the demo menus with javascript disabled and you'll see what I mean.

If this isn't the problem you're experiencing, please provide a link to a page where we can have a look.
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:55 PM

When I view this:

http://www.udm4.com/demos/style-msdn.php

In Firefox 2, with JS disabled, I no longer see the little black arrows and the nav does not flyout
Unread 08-22-2008, 12:42 AM

The javascript is what makes the arrows show and the fly-out menus appear. You can still click on any of those top level navigation menu items and see all the sub-menu links that would otherwise have shown in the fly-out menu with javascript enabled. This is the way UDM4 is designed to work. As long as you code any sub-menu so that it goes to a page with those links in it, your site visitors will still be able to navigate around and find what's there.

If you want the fly-out effect without having to use javascript, there are other menu systems that achieve this effect with CSS, but that goes beyond the scope of these forums.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vinyl-junkie : 08-22-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Clarification