Unread 11-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Default Hybrid Car ??

I am getting ready to buy another car now. When gas prices were $4 plus, I was really thinking about buying a hybrid. Now with gas prices back down to $2 or less, should I.

I understand the environment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.

So any feedback of your experience owning a hybrid, or why I should or shoulnt would be appreciated.
Unread 11-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Admin

Well, I'd do some math quick to figure out your Total Cost of Ownership...

Example A:
Hybrid Car that gets 60 mpg

Example B:
Regular car that gets 25 MPG

Assumptions:
Fuel costs: $2 / gallon
Total Miles / year 20,000

Car A costs:
20,000 miles / 60 mpg = 333 1/3 gallons / year
333 1/3 gallons x $2 / gallon = $666 2/3 / year in fuel.

Car B costs:
20,000 miles / 25 mpg = 800 gallons / year
800 gallons x $2 / gallon = $1,600 / year in fuel

TOTAL SAVINGS PER YEAR: $1,600 - $666 = $934

So, if you plan on having the car for more than 5 years it's worth it.

But don't forget that 1) gas prices will probably go up again which will increase the savings and 2) there are tax rebates (at least in the US) for hybrids.
Unread 12-28-2008, 09:08 AM
randallflynns
Default My Car

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and it is my second hybrid car. The first was also a hybrid, a 2002 Prius. These cars are exceptionally great to drive. I've had absolutely no problems with either of the cars. Prius drivers know we don't have to charge the batteries but people who don't drive these cars seem not to know this. Also, these cars have plenty of power and speed. I could easily exceed the speed limit here in Central NY State if I wanted to and found myself once going 80mph when I passed cars. I was surprised when I saw how fast I was going because I didn't feel I was that fast.
As far as mileage, in winter here in upstate NY, it gets quite cold and I find I obtain about 40 mph during very cold weather. In summer, I get easily over 50mph, as much as 53mph. I will never buy anything but a hybrid as long as I am driving.

New Cars